Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Hmmm....the Metabolism Miracle Seems to Make a Lot of Sense


I haven't posted in a long while. I stuck to the Ideal Protein diet for a while and lost a good amount of weight, about 40 lbs. But in the subsequent year(s), have gained it all back.

I was slowly getting back to the low carb lifestyle, with the Sugar Busters diet, when I decided to check out "The Metabolism Miracle" by Diane Kress. I've read through most of the book, and it seems to make a whole lot of sense. Most of what she describes in the book fits me to a T. I have been successful on low carb diets, but only to a point. Then as soon as I reintroduce carbs, I start to put the weight back on.

She describes this as having an alternate metabolism which she coins as "Metabolism "B". Those with Metabolism B can only handle a certain amount of carbs at a time. Which is why the basics of the diet involve counting carbs over a 5 hour period. During the first phase of the diet, you can have up to 5 grams of carbs every 5 hours, which she calls the 5x5 plan.

Like all other low carb diets, she explains that there are different types of carbs, some better than others, and yes this diet stresses the use of the "good carbs". One of the many interesting facts about this book, is her simple definition of how many grams of carbs are in a particular food item. You simply take the total grams of carbs/serving and subtract the grams of dietary fiber/serving and you get the net grams of carb/serving. Many of the low carb foods on the market use a substitute for sugar, called sugar alcohol. She explains that the body processes the sugar alcohol similarly as sugar, and hence it counts as carb grams.

I have just begun this diet, the first phase of it which she calls "Carb Rehab", pretty funny. Great explanations on the scientific reasoning behind this plan are included in the book. Even if you decide not to follow this program, it is a great read, and can help you understand how your body processes carbs. Check it out, "The Metabolism Miracle", by Diane Kress.

I will be posting at least weekly with more insight on the diet, as well as how I am faring on it, including recipes. I always like creating new recipes to fit a diet plan. Although the book does contain quite a few new recipes for me to try.

She recommends weighing only after the first 8 weeks, but I'll likely step on the scale after 4 to get an idea of how it is going.

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I've also followed the Ideal Protein diet program and it was really useful. I've got rid of all of my extra pounds and now, I'm having the same weight that I had it one year ago. So, I'm very satisfied, but of course that depends a lots of the metabolism. :)

    ReplyDelete